TikTok has had a massive growth in users over the last few years, particularly as a result of the Stay at Home measures put in place by governments during the covid-19 pandemic. Just the other day, on September 27th, Tiktok hit 1 billion active users on the platform. This level of growth is something not to be ignored! The app is an unmissable opportunity for making marketing and brand building content available to a large audience. Here are some of our top tips for marketing on Tiktok in 2021.
Choose the content you believe your target market would enjoy watching and go from there.
On TikTok there are endless possibilities for content ideas, and finding direction for what you post is a problem we’re hearing more and more. Our recommendation is keeping your target audience in mind and making content you believe they would want to see, or that would help them in their everyday lives. Making content in a context relevant to your target customer means it’s far more likely to reach them. This avoids the creation of content that is consumed by people who aren’t likely to respond to or be interested by it, known as wastage in marketing. This way you’re spending your time communicating with the right people online – time well spent!
Don’t ignore trends and popular tags, sounds, and filters!
Tiktok has created a culture of its own within the trends it has created – make sure not to ignore these! There are sounds that are created for businesses, which are great for showcasing your products or services to people who are interested in finding that type of content. Another great opportunity is to watch content trends, choose the ones you identify with, and put your brand’s twist on them. Using sounds, tags, and filters that are up and coming or are already trending are a great way to increase your visibility! This works because the TikTok algorithm shows users videos with sounds, tags, and filters they are engaging with! Here are examples from some other brands that took the opportunity to seize trends, filters and sounds and had great results in doing so:
Try to make your videos short, to the point, and visually looking their best
No matter what product you’re marketing – try to capture it looking its best. Your video content should entice the customer and make them want to learn more about what you’re selling or showing them. Here are some things you can do to make your videos look and feel more inviting to viewers:
- Use a bright, natural source of light. If this isn’t possible, try to find a bright and well lit area to record in
- Try to use a background that matches the video you’re making. Marketing a natural, eco-friendly product? Try using a grassy area for your backdrop.
- Record video content on the back camera of your phone as this is normally higher definition – You can upload videos with a resolution of up to 1080p on TikTok!
- We recommend recording content on the camera app of your phone and uploading it to the TikTok app. This way you fine tune the brightness, saturation and other adjustments for the video on your phone’s editing software. This also allows you to do multiple takes and to choose the one you like the best before uploading (and editing if needed).
- Try to keep it short and simple. TikTok thrives off fast and easy to consume content. For this reason, we recommend keeping your content under 15 seconds as these videos tend to perform the best!
TikTok is the place to try out new ideas and see what works. Upload often and try not to think too far into it. Learn from what works for you and what doesn’t. Don’t be afraid to spend some time scrolling through the For You Page and through the videos posted under tags, filters and sounds you like to find content inspiration – you might even find yourself spending more and more time scrolling through video after video – it’s all research right?